Sunday, October 18, 2020

Bird Flight Game Idea Research

Hi, 

After brainstorming potential game ideas I decided to pursue one particular idea which is the bird flight game.

This game would be similar to the infamous 'flappy bird' released in 2014. If you have played flappy bird you may know it is a 2D game. I would develop this game to be a 3D game. The game would be simple, it would start off with the bird floating mid air and there would be a 'tap to play' instruction. Once the player taps the screen, the game begins by the bird moving forward automatically and the player would use the mouse to maneuver right or left in order to go through loops distributed within the game. If the player misses the loop and or doesn't manage to fit in time, the game ends and the score of the loops passed would be displayed afterwards, and then of course a new game would follow once the player uses the 'continue' option provided.  The setting of this game would be in the sky.  Just like my bird Ganji the colors of the bird would be that of the Jenday Conure parrot colors. There would be no different options for the type or color of bird used to play in this game. 

 
 This is an example I came across while researching flying games created in unity, it is very similar to my idea.

 
There would be no levels to this game it would be based on the high score of the person playing, this way one can compete with him/hers friends and even compete with themselves. I know how games like this operate considering I have played flappy bird and other games similar to flappy bird that provide the same concept. I really like this idea and will do further research to find the best ways to develop a game like so.
 
One idea of mechanics in this game would allow the player to move right or left whilst moving forward is an automatic action. The ability to move right or left will allow the player to successfully pass through the rings distributed across the game. A particular sound will play when the player successfully passes through a ring. The rings would be gold in color.

Another idea of mechanics for this game idea would be the ability of moving up and down in order to pass through the golden rings, this would require the camera to be fixed behind the player or in this case, the bird. 

As the player progresses through the course, I was thinking at a certain stage into the game, to increase the difficulty I could somehow programme the rings to move side to side. This would only start happening when the player reaches a certain score. Lets say 10 for now. 

After watching the video above I got inspired to perhaps add columns on the sides in order for the player to stay in a specific area through out the game. 
                                                            
I would like to apply some sort of barricading on each side, I am thinking trees perhaps, giving the game a jungle vibe, it would make sense since the in game a character is going to be a parrot. 

 
Whilst researching I came across this video of someone who used Unity, Maya and a hint of Photoshop to recreate Flappy bird but in 3D. This gave me inspiration for what I can create the map to look like. If you watch the video you can see his choice of trees, what I found very interesting is their use of detail. He rusted the pillars and further enhanced the trees and mountains to make them look more realistic. This game is a prime example of what I want my game to turn out like, except for the pillars to pass through, there would be rings instead. And of course a different character. 
 
 
                                                                     Rust on the pillar

 
                                            Notice his use of detail in the surrounding environment 


This developer also added a leader board feature I was thinking of also adding to my game. 

Every functioning game also requires good sound effects and music. When it comes to sound effects and music that will be no hassle for me to do, I will compose a simple track for this game and also record a few sound effects to add. Examples would be when the player is passing through the obstacle i.e. ring, a short ringing sound plays. Or when missing an obstacle a short buzzer sound plays.

I will definitely do more research about how I can enhance the surrounding environment in the game as I feel the setting plays a big role in games, giving the game its particular vibe. In my case its looking like its going to be a jungle setting, considering that is a parrots natural habitat. Like I mentioned earlier the rings will be gold in color , and now that I have established a setting I will probably add some plants growing down from the rings, maybe vines? 

I am excited to pursue this game idea, I feel like I have a good sense of where I want to go with this, and with the research I did I have assured my self that this is very possible.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Andy! Just finished reading your game idea and think it seems like a really cool idea. I remember playing Flappy Bird when it first came out and it was so frustrating but so addictive so I can see why you would like to base it off that. I love the idea of making it a 3D world rather than 2D. I seen that there will be no levels and it will involve the player passing through metal rings but was wondering if there will be any other objectives in the game, like collecting coins or something that could add to the players score? Did you consider if the player can play as only one type of bird or will there be a few different options available? One thing I would suggest would be maybe making it look different to Flappy Bird and not use the same scenery like trees and the green pipes, if there was a way you could customize it to your own design I think it could turn out really unique and stand out from flappy bird. Hope it goes well and can already tell if I ever get to play it my head will be wrecked. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy!
    Your Game Idea Research is very informative! I really like your idea as it is simple yet still challenging to play. I think that if you are able to complete this game, it would be really cool to play as it is similar to Flappy Bird but in 3D! That game was very addicting as you keep trying to get higher scores every time. I think that having no Levels for this game is a good idea as it might take you a while to code the first level which you will end up not getting the game done.

    Is there also going to be some rewards or collectible coins around the map/pathway? What are you going to add in the game that would make it different to Flappy Bird? I hope that you are able to complete your game. Good luck for this semester!

    ReplyDelete

Reading 10

 Hi,  I have just completed the reading task for week 10, It is cool to see how far we have come in our journey of writing this book, everyo...